We recognize that relocating your family requires collaboration with multiple people and organizations. We are committed to making sure that every family has the tools and resources necessary to ensure your move is successful. To compare the cost of living between the area you are currently living in and the area you are thinking of relocating to, click here. We offer the knowledge and expertise that can only come from living and working in the Portland Metropolitan area for many years. Our team brings together a diverse and vast familiarity with the culture of Portland, Lake Oswego and the surrounding areas. We can help you find everything from entertainment and the best schools to local news and handpicked resources. We will provide you with insight into the lifestyle you want to live in Oregon. For complete in-depth relocation information, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
Just found out your moving date? Whether you are moving in two weeks or two months from now, here is a helpful checklist to keep you organized.
Separate everything you will and will not be taking with you.
- Make a list. If you are hiring a moving company, catalog your items with your digital camera.
- Consider renting a movable storage unit like SAM or POD. Movable storage units can be loaded and stored off location during the sale of your home. Once you are ready to relocate, the unit can meet you at your new location.
Now is the time to purge. Decide how you will be getting rid of unwanted items.
- Sell your stuff on Craigslist.org.
- Put on a yard sale and make sure to advertise it!
- Donate items. Goodwill and other nonprofit organizations have easy drop-off locations throughout the city.
- Ask your Realtor – Hasson agents have a trusted network of associates that can help you get where you need to go.
Transfer or cancel all relevant accounts, records and/or services, including:
- Your children’s schools and daycare centers
- Banks accounts and credit card accounts
- Insurance policies – property, auto, medical
- Postal service and safety deposit boxes
- Doctor, dentist and other medical providers’ records and prescriptions
- Utilities – electricity, gas, water/sewer, trash
- Cable, telephone (land line and cell phones), newspaper, lawn service
- Car registration and DMV address changes
- Memberships and Subscriptions to gyms, publications, movie rentals, etc.
Time to get packing! Collect boxes, tape, bubble wrap, newspapers, garbage bags and markers.
- Disassemble furniture and pack all of your household items.
- Schedule movers as needed (Click here for a list of recommended movers)
- If you are hiring a moving company, keep a completed bill of lading until your possessions are delivered to you.
- Discard propane tanks used for BBQ grills.
- Discard flammable materials or containers that may leak.
Make all necessary final arrangements:
- Have your car serviced if you are traveling a long distance.
- Arrange motel or other accommodations.
- Make plans for pet care and/or lodging
- Have necessary medication on hand for at least two weeks as you settle into your new city.
- Check all closets, cabinets and rooms one last time to make sure you haven’t left anything behind.
- Make sure all systems and lights have been turned off before you lock up.